Thursday, March 25, 2010

Good Day

Tonight I was trying to figure out why my everyday life excites me and makes me so happy. I pretty much do the same thing everyday but am far from bored. I think that's when you know you're in love with something - you don't do anything great or exciting but your day was still great and exciting.

I've been sharing specific stories for the past several posts but right now I want to bring you on a journey of my day today.

The Kuyasa Kids Children's Choir performs every year on a tour of the States. It is no small task getting 20 kids ready to go to another country for 3 weeks. Today it all came together and we got them on the plane. As we walked up to the security queue, I walked arm and arm with one of the girls. Besides the fact that walking with arms looped is one of my favorite things in the world, it was great to share in her excitement and to settle her nerves. It was time to say good bye and big hugs were shared with words of encouragement and love. How great is it that I've gotten to the point where the kids want to give me, this weird American chick, a hug good bye before they get on the plane?!

After they were through security we headed down to get a real live, non-instant coffee to accompany some conversation! Life lesson: Cherish every cup of coffee.

Several times a week I think how cool these kids are and how I wish I had their vision and passion.
Sinesipho is a Grade 9 student. Today we were talking about her dreams and wishes for her life. I was thinking she was going to say something along the lines of wanting some cool job so she could make money or wanting to drive a cool car. It gives me such hope to know there are kids who think bigger than I do. They see my little box that I put everything into and blow it wide open. So good.
This is a summary of what she said:
I wish the violence in Kayamandi would stop. I don't want to keep going home and seeing people drinking, doing drugs, fighting and pulling out knives. I know God will redeem Kayamandi but I wish it would be right now. I come to Kuyasa every day and hang out for as long as I can because Kuyasa is safe, fun and it helps me grow. It is a place changing Kayamandi. I am going to be a journalist to bring awareness to the problems but also the good stuff in Kayamandi. I want to be a journalist in America for a little bit so Americans would learn Africa isn't only lions walking down the road.
She paused to ask why all Americans think there are lions everywhere. To this I only laughed and said we all watch too much Discovery Channel! She's a funny (and observant) one!
She continued with:
I want Americans to understand Africa isn't just bad like they think. I want them to see me and how I am a normal person because then Americans would use some of their money to help. I am happy and I know everything is going to change. I know God will make it all ok. I know God will stop the violence. I want them to know how good Africa is and to stop focusing on the bad stuff. I just want the violence to stop and I think this is how I can help.
I sat with a sense of awe, excitement and astonishment. She sees the big picture. She sees the major problem and has a very clear path to helping in the solution. Because of Sinesipho, Kayamandi will be changed.

Next came conversations with some of the interns at Kuyasa. They are such fun people and we ended up taking tons of pictures. We took nice pictures and pictures where they imitated how I apparently look after I'm done with the creche kids and some in between! It was funny and made me laugh for a long time!

On the way home I was blessed with the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen. Imagine the best Lake Michigan sunset with every color imaginable showing and multiply that by a billion and that's how the sunset was. It was unbelievable and a great blessing to cap a great day.

After all of this I realized it's not just a good day - it extends into a good week and a good month. Not a "I'm good" when the world is falling apart kind of a good; a deep and sincere good. It was a simple day full of nothing out of the ordinary. God works wonders in the ordinary. I am so happy by doing ordinary things and by searching out God's little details to bless my day.

Most likely you will have an ordinary day today. In that, I encourage you to revel in it and in the little extra-ordinary blessings God creates just for you to see.

be well

No comments:

Post a Comment