Thursday, April 1, 2010

Service

This week and next week is holiday for the schools. This means there's lots of kids, nothing to do and a lot of trouble they could get in to. To contribute to the prevention of trouble, Kuyasa steps up the programming. In the mornings we have Kids Games for the younger ones. It involves, you guessed it, games! I'm a station leader and have been able to pull out some of my Camp Geneva games which has been a lot of fun. I suppose it's good to know Car Lot is successful no matter what hemisphere you're in! I also had a triple jump competition one day and am still standing in awe of their natural talent...once a trackster, always a trackster?!

In the afternoons there were service projects available for the youth. I worked with the Appreciation Team baking cakes and making cards for public services and organizations in the community like other NGOs, social workers, the clinic, police, schools, etc. The sole purpose was to say thank you and let them know their work is noticed and appreciated. Tuesday was one of the delivery days so I went with a group of 8 students to deliver three of the cakes. Two of our stops were at NGOs who are doing great things in the community. At both of these places there were staff members who cried a little bit because of the generosity of the students. We chatted and prayed with them and it was obvious they were rejuvenated and encouraged in their draining work. Being the lone white girl in a group of youth caused them to think I had a lot to do with this project. It was great to contradict them and let them know it was all the students' doing and I really had nothing to do with it!

The youth were eager and willing to make and deliver cakes and cards to uplift others. They were taking possession of a project to better their home by encouraging the very people who are actively doing just that. In our debriefing times it was obvious they recognized the rewards that came where they didn't expect it. My group saw the joy and gratefulness of the ladies we visited. They were also encouraged to work hard in school and to make choices which build them up instead of tear them down. The group who went to the fire station got to ride in the fire truck which was a new and fun experience for them. The rewards flowed in for these kids because they sacrificially gave of their time to think of others.

I have noticed this same type of thing in my time here. I have been blessed way more then I've been a blessing, I am sure. My joy, peace and happiness have increased as I've invested a little time into a few kids.

I encourage you today to serve someone with no expectations for anything in return. I then pray that through the experience you are blessed 100 times over.

Have a great Easter! Eat some chocolate for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment