Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Preaching

"Preach the Gospel always, if necessary use words."
-St. Francis

I've always thought about this as our actions speak louder then our words. This is for sure true but I've realized a new definition of actions. Actions aren't just being a servant leader, dishing up others' meals before your own or helping an old lady across the street. I realized today that the smallest of non-verbal interactions can speak volumes.

I needed a second to escape the chaos and took the chance during the transition from Kids Games to feeding scheme. I stepped inside to the reception area where there weren't any kids and the volume was decreased from deafening to just really loud. While the lines were forming outside and students were running around getting food ready for the kids, I turned around to find a little preschool boy staring at me from about 20 feet away in the front of the line outside. I smiled at him and he returned it. The next minute of our lives consisted of an exchange of funny faces - I gave him a goofy grin, he returned with a crossed eyes expression, I puckered my lips like a fish, he puffed up his cheeks like a blow fish and we continued on in our own little personal conversation. We ended our conversation laughing with each other when we weren't even in the same room and the world was scurrying loudly around us. Our little playful conversation let me show him that I love him and he returned the affection. Over the distance with no words spoken and no high-fives or hugs exchanged, we are stronger friends now.

Yes, actions speak louder than words. But I'd like to add that sometimes subtle actions speak louder than big actions. It's good to follow St. Francis' advice but I now realize it's not only big mission trips or hours at the Gospel Mission that preach the Gospel. Sometimes, the love of the Gospel can be shown when you're not even in the same room as someone. If my little guy can understand at this point that I love him then, hopefully, when he hears again about Jesus' love he can understand it a little bit more.

Go out and preach today!

No comments:

Post a Comment