Saturday, March 20, 2010

Conversation

"So, how was your week this week?"
"It was great!"
"What did you do?"
"Ummmm, well, I didn't really do anything."
"What do you mean you didn't do anything?! What did you do all day long?"
"I talked."


Take a look at Luke 24:13-15
That same day two of Jesus' followers were walking to the village of Emmaus, seven miles from Jerusalem. As they walked along they were talking about everything that had happened. As they talked and discussed these things, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them.

I didn't really do anything this week in terms of crossing items off a list. We canceled classes because the University was on holiday resulting in not enough bodies/teachers/crowd controllers to do class. But there were intangibles accomplished. I had great conversations that extended for significant chunks of time. I went on a power walk and talked about characteristics of friendship. I sat at the table and talked about what the Bible has been revealing recently. I drove and talked about God's recognition and blessings of sacrifice and service. I sat on the wall and talked about the stress of deadlines. I sat at dinner and talked about my passion of meeting basic needs and how that coincides with Jesus' ministry. I sipped a delicious milk shake and found out one of my friends has worked with some of my former Hope teammates in the Eastern Cape (can you say small world???). I talked about everything from the crisis of my chocolate supply ending to the pain, burden, sadness, joy, love, hope and excitement that has enveloped me in the past several weeks. I listened to everything from childhood memories to God's guidance in ministry. I learned, I shared and I have a huge smile on my face because of it. It was wonderful!! I'm for real, it was really good!

It is WAY too easy to get wrapped up in whatever I am doing; be it here or in the States. There's always going to be another child saying, "sisNora, look!" Someone is always going to need a pencil. There is always a database or curriculum to work on. In the States there will always be work to do, projects due, a house to clean and meetings to attend.

But what about the people I spend my every day life with?
Do I completely understand his life?
How did he get that scar on his leg?
Why does she want to go to University?
What did he have for breakfast?
What did she learn in school today?
What makes her smile and what causes tears to roll down his cheek?

Equally as important: Do they know my answers to all these questions?

I think I can answer "yes" to more of those questions today than I could a week ago. It was a successful week full of accomplishment! It is more than just knowing about a person. It is about actually knowing a person. The only way that can happen is through conversation. I am blessed and in love because of a few conversations. My room is dirty and the amount of laundry I have is intimidating but I know my people. So worth it!

God blesses conversation. Jesus joined the conversation of the two traveling to Emmaus. The two were talking about what had just happened; they were talking about their lives. That's all a conversation is - teaching and learning about life. God's all about relationships and He knows nothing can grow without conversation. Just like He did with the travelers, Jesus joined my conversations this week. Let's be honest, that's pretty cool!

I pray you are able to have at least 1 great conversation this week.
At least 1 conversation that carries on for longer than 15 minutes.
At least 1 conversation that's not: "Hey! How are you?" "I'm good, thanks. And you?" "I'm fine, thanks. Welp, have a good day!"
Maybe a conversation with someone you haven't talked to in awhile?
I plan on doing all of these and I'm super pumped about it!
I pray the words will flow freely, without hesitation and without judgment but with emotion, realness and love. That all sounds really good to me!


get excited about life!

No comments:

Post a Comment