Sunday, March 7, 2010

Church

Sunday morning I tagged along to church with a Pneumatix staff member and a couple students. I chose to go with them purely because they were leaving when I was up and ready to go. I thought we were going to a "normal" church but was blessed by finding the contrary.

We parked and walked up to an Irish Pub. This is when I realized maybe things weren't as I assumed them to be. Through tidbits of conversation (as most of it was in Afrikaans) I came to realize that this church I am going to is a plant church called More Wine with no building, no official head pastor and about 25 members. It turns out there was a fire in the pub last night so we couldn't use it. Some phone calls were made to see if there was another place we could hold our service.

We ended up at a cigar lounge (selling a R21,000 shot of whiskey...roughly $3,000!) in the middle of a beautiful vineyard. This small, intimate group sat on the deck overlooking the circle of mountains emerging from rolling hills of vines as far as the eye could see. God's handiwork as our backdrop. We drank coffee and had a time of fellowship for about an hour. Then there was a "sermon" where a vulnerable and difficult conversation was started by a noble man-of-God with reading of Scripture from John 4 and its relevance to his life. It was a "ok, God, I'm listening" moment as this man seemed to echo word-for-word the lament of my heart. Conversation in response was encouraged. Prayer requests were shared. And then small groups of 3-5 were formed for a time of prayer and vulnerability. I'd say it's pretty well known that being vulnerable and open with strangers isn't really my forte. But the words and emotions flowed with ease and encouragement, without judgment. I was in a safe place of unconditional love and support.

When it was time to go (about 3 hours after we arrived) I knew this was what Church was intended to be. It was not intended to be an impersonal institution with a random guy talking up front. It was intended to be a group of people sharing and inviting God into a conversation about the times of loss and the times of plenty in their lives. It was intended to be a group of people sharing life with God and with each other; the manifestation of Love God and Love People. It was a relationship with a handful of my brothers and sisters. We were friends and a support system purely based on our common relationships with Jesus. No other facts about our lives were needed in order to become a family.

I felt as if God was smiling the entire time saying, "Yes! This is what I want for my children!" And, since I'm pretty confident my God embraces the phrases of His kids, I think He added in a "Fire up!" along with a little happy dance!

Along with the words spoken into my heart from John 4, the words of It is Well With My Soul gushed in and pulled me up into God's soft, tender and strong embrace.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall by mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul

But, Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grace, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul



Be well this day

No comments:

Post a Comment