Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Feet

When I was little, I knew it was a quality day when I would have to go into the bathroom, sit on the edge of the bath tub and wash my feet before doing anything else. Somewhere in the growing up process we decide it is better to wear shoes and avoid the dirt. Well, I've returned to the joys of childhood! I have to wash my feet every night before going to bed...it's a great feeling! One of the great things about this place is that you aren't looked at funny or asked to leave if you don't have shoes on. And, since I've never really liked wearing shoes that much, I take advantage of the no shoe acceptance. If I must put on some sort of foot wear I pick flip-flops, which don't really keep the dirt away any better then bare feet. Running in the sand court, walking around Kuyasa or going for walks at Pneumatix make my feet look well used. And if we aren't going to let our feet take us on adventures or build relationships, then what a waste of perfectly good space! Free feet just makes life more enjoyable...there's a sense of enjoyment and care-free actions when my feet can breathe.

I read The Foot Book with my preschoolers today, complete with actions and dancing. Bet you never thought about the dances that can go along with Dr. Seuss' masterpiece! But the dances are there and can keep a 4 year old's attention for about 5 minutes. Those 5 minutes are about 4 1/2 minutes longer then the normal attention span, so I count it as a victory!

It wasn't until tonight that Dr. Seuss' profound words in The Foot Book made me think:
"Oh how many, many feet you meet!"
You might not think of these words as profound, but they really are. Many feet have crossed my path and my feet have crossed many paths in the last several weeks. What a great privilege! These feet have taken me up mountains, up stairs to a Learning Center filled with eager (and rambunctious) children and youth, through doors to a kitchen full of food for 200 hungry kids, along the ocean and into the lives of countless people; many of them with feet that can tell stories of hardship, pain, hope, joy and love. The places and people my feet have taken me will forever change my life. They have led me on treks discovering my passions and gifts, evaluating my worldview's relevance in a new context and making me aware of what and who I truly love. Who knew feet could do so much?!

As I'm falling into my routine at Kuyasa I want to challenge myself to recognize the moments that my feet bring a new friend into my life, give me an opportunity to love a child, bless me with a soccer game or take me to a quiet and restful place.
Oh how many, many feet you meet!

I'm going to go wash my feet now and go to bed!

love.


On a completely different note:
I wanted to inform you of a support option in addition to my last post. An account has been set up for me at my church. For a tax deduction, a check can be made out to Haven Church. It can still be mailed to my parents

Scott & Ann Kuiper
5863 Chandra
Kalamazoo, MI 49004

100% of the funding will still go to me but this offers you an option for a tax deduction that is not available if you make a check out to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment