Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

Diet Coke
Starbucks
Chocolate
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Burrito
Rocky Road Ice Cream in a Waffle Cone
Pizza
Steak
BBQ Sauce
Reliable Water & Electricity
Comfortable Bed
Normal Sized Bugs

It's good to be back in the States!

As I was flying back and anticipating a much needed Starbucks I kept praying about how to wrap up this season of my life but make sure it drives me into the next season. As always, my God showed me something pretty cool:

In January I shared about the rainbow stretching across the sky during the descent into Johannesburg. It was a rainbow which reminded me of God's covenant with Noah and his promise of partnership, love and care. It gave me comfort and confidence. This same type of message was given to me as I was descending into Washington last week. The plane left Johannesburg after the sun had gone down and we flew west for 18 hours, all of it in the dark. As we began the descent into Washington the sun began to catch up to the plane and there was an amazing sunrise of reds, oranges and yellows. A new day was dawning. This isn't anything spectacular - the sun does the same thing all the time! But, no matter what the sky has done in the past, every sunrise is unique and special. It can be referenced and compared to past sunrises but it is new every day. I was flying back to what was familiar. I have a reference point of what to expect. But, at the same time, it is new.

My worldview, paradigms, focus have changed in ways I still don't know how to explain.

My heart is still in Kayamandi and I haven't figured out how to get it back here.

My God is ridiculously, unimaginably amazing and I don't have the words to sufficiently honor Him. My God healed me, romanced me, blessed me, loved me, freed me and gave me every single desire of my heart. I am super pumped to find out what He has in store for me now.

I have an entire African family that I can't stop thinking about. Every thought makes me smile and brings an overwhelming joy to my heart.

I know myself - likes, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses, passions, desires, loves, friends and place in this huge world of ours - way more than I have ever understood before.

I can keep going with the list of newness but I'd rather have a conversation in person!
It was a great 5 months of love and a life journey. I am excited to sit down over a cup of coffee and talk about what has been going on in your lives and what has been going on in mine. Saying thank you to everyone for your support and prayers seems insufficient but it is an appreciation from my heart. I miss South Africa but, at the same time, it feels good to be back in the States!

Impilo!

No comments:

Post a Comment