Monday, January 4, 2010

So what exactly are you doing??

Through a lot of patience and a lot of conversations with a lot of different people I am set to go to Cape Town! I will be leaving January 10 and returning in June with enough time to re-acclimate and get ready for grad school. During my stay I will be living at a Bible College called Pneumatix. My contact in Cape Town, Cois, is the director of Pneumatix. I will stay in one of their guest rooms, eat meals with the students and have a driver...at least until I get used to driving on the other side of the road! There are a few organizations I will be working with...Horizon International in their Kuyasa Kids program, Unbuntu House, Agape Family Church and in orphanages in Cape Town and Grabouw. Kuyasa does a lot for the local children in Kayamandi Township with leadership, schooling, sports programming, dance & choir teams and feeding programs. Ubuntu is a half way house for orphaned babies. All of these organizations are heavily focused on the HIV/AIDS crisis and the huge number of children and teens impacted by the disease. Pneumatix students are involved with several ministries in and around Cape Town and I will be able to learn about the various ministries and get involved once I arrive. I may also have the opportunity to work in a basketball ministry and a prison ministry. It all just depends on how busy I'd like to be! Cois has made a point to emphasize the beauty of Cape Town and that I will probably want time to climb the mountains and sit on the cliffs over-looking the ocean every so often.

These are some websites associated with the work I will be doing...
Pneumatix
Pnx Guest Facilities

Google map of Somerset West
Horizon International
Kuyasa Kids
Ubuntu

No comments:

Post a Comment